PACIFHAN celebrates World Home Artificial Nutrition (HAN) Day 15th October 2018
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” – Hippocrates
Did you know?
1. HAN is when artificial liquid nutrition is given directly into the bloodstream (Parenteral Nutrition) or directly into the intestine (Enteral Nutrition)
2. HAN is life-saving for adults and children living with medical conditions that stop them from eating or absorbing food in the normal way
3. HAN is not a cure for the underlying medical condition
4. HAN requires a team approach to care, involving patient + family/parents + medical team
5. HAN can have significant positive and/or negative impacts for the patient medically, physically, socially and emotionally.
PACIFHAN is the International Alliance of Patient Organisations for Chronic Intestinal Failure and Home Artificial Nutrition. Currently, there are nine member patient organisations covering ten countries worldwide.
Together all PACIFHAN member organisations are striving towards six common goals:
1. To be a trusted international reference on home artificial nutrition (HAN) from the patient’s perspective;
2. To encourage the exchange of peer reviewed published medical-scientific information related to HAN; 3. To assist HAN patients who wish to travel/stay abroad to seek guidance through the member association in the destination country affiliated with the international organisation;
4. To organise an annual general meeting that will be attended by a representative of each member association;
5. To increase awareness of HAN;
6. To improve the quality of life of HAN patients.